Boston - West End & North End (PDF Chapter)
This is the West End & North End chapter from Lonely Planet’s Boston guidebook.
These side-by-side neighborhoods could not be more different from each other. The West End – formerly a multicultural, working-class neighborhood – was razed by ‘urban renewal’ in the 1950s.
By contrast, the North End feels like an Old World enclave. Italian immigrants and their descendants have held court in this warren of narrow streets and alleys since the 1920s.
- Pomodoro Strolling the cobblestone streets, browsing the boutiques and soaking up the Old World atmosphere in the North End and then squeezing into one of the candlelit tables for amazing Italian food and service.
- Liberty Hotel Gawking at the architecture and appreciating the irony that this former jailhouse is now a luxury hotel.
- Old North Church Gazing at the steeple and imagining the lanterns signaling the approach of the British Regulars (soldiers).
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.