Boston - Streetcar Suburbs (PDF Chapter)
This is the Streetcar Suburbs chapter from Lonely Planet’s Boston guidebook.
Brookline and Jamaica Plain (among others) are Streetcar Suburbs, residential areas that developed around Boston in the late 19th century. They are geographically isolated from other parts of Boston, though transitionally connected, yes, by streetcar (or metro now). Both JP and Brookline maintain distinct identities and unique ‘neighbourhood’ atmospheres that make them attractive, off-the-beaten-path destinations.
- John F Kennedy National Historic Site Taking a pilgrimage to the birthplace of JFK, touring the home, and then following the NPS walking tour to see the schools, churches and other places from Kennedy lore.
- Coolidge Corner Theatre Sitting in the balcony and catching an art-house flick.
- Tres Gatos Enjoying an evening of delightful food, music and camaraderie, as if you were a personal guest of the three cats.
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.