Boston - Seaport District & South Boston (PDF Chapter)
This is the Seaport District & South Boston chapter from Lonely Planet’s Boston guidebook.
Separated from Boston proper by the Fort Point Channel, the Seaport District has always afforded a spectacular vista of the Boston Harbor and downtown Boston. Now this hot district offers all kinds of opportunities to see and savour it.
Meanwhile, the rest of South Boston remains well off the beaten path. Former stomping ground of Whitey Bulger and preferred setting for Boston-based mafia movies, ‘Southie’ lives large in local and national lore. Despite its reputation, South Boston has its own charm.
- Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA) Spending an afternoon at the striking waterfront site, contemplating the artistic curiosities on display and admiring the stunning harbor and city views.
- Boston Tea Party Ships Brushing up on Revolutionary War history by boarding replicas of the historic ships and tossing crates of tea into the harbor.
- Row 34 Slurping down seafood delicacies and sipping craft beers at this beloved oyster bar.
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.