Boston - Downtown & Waterfront (PDF Chapter)
This is the Downtown & Waterfront chapter from Lonely Planet’s Boston guidebook.
Almost every visitor will traipse through this neighborhood while following the Freedom Trail to Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market. Indeed, this marketplace is one of the most visited tourist sites in the country. Even though it’s basically a shopping mall (but a historic shopping mall!), it’s a fun stop to admire the public art, cheer on the street performers and soak up the festive atmosphere.
- Rose Kennedy Greenway Shopping for locally made souvenirs at the Open Market, cooling off in the Rings Fountain, riding whimsical creatures on the carousel or contemplatively walking the labyrinth, all along Boston’s linear park.
- Whale-Watching Taking a boat out to Stellwagen Bank to spy on whales, dolphins and other sea life.
- Boston Massacre Site Finding the plaque that marks the spot of the first violent confrontation of the American Revolution.
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.