Boston - Charlestown (PDF Chapter)
This is the Charlestown chapter from Lonely Planet’s Boston guidebook.
Spend a day following the Freedom Trail and you will end up in Charlestown, as the final two sites are located here. Besides seeing the historic USS Constitution and the commemorative Bunker Hill Monument, strolling inland from the Charlestown waterfront provides an opportunity to explore the neighborhood’s aged narrow streets, lined with 19th-century Federal and colonial houses.
- Bunker Hill Monument Counting the 294 steps as you climb to the top and then catching your breath while you admire the 360-degree view of Boston, Cambridge and beyond.
- Warren Tavern Sipping an ale at the same bar that propped up the founding fathers.
- USS Constitution Admiring the craftsmanship and discovering the ship’s long and storied history from US Navy sailors.
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.