Boston - Beacon Hill & Boston Common (PDF Chapter)
This is the Beacon Hill & Boston Common chapter from Lonely Planet’s Boston guidebook.
The Boston Common is the starting point for the Freedom Trail and, as such, the starting point for many visitors’ exploration of Boston. Whether or not it is the first place you visit in Boston, it is a central meeting spot, a jumping-off point for several neighborhoods and an always-enjoyable place for a picnic lunch. You’ll likely find yourself passing through more than once.
- Public Garden Breathing in the sweet smell of flowering trees and blooming beds as you admire the seasonal display. A ride in a swan boat on the lagoon completes an idyllic outing.
- Shakespeare on the Common Packing a picnic for an evening of outdoor theater on Boston Common.
- Charles Street Browsing for trash and treasure in the antique shops and sweet boutiques that line the main shopping street in Beacon Hill.
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout