Boston - Beacon Hill & Boston Common (PDF Chapter)
This is the Beacon Hill & Boston Common chapter from Lonely Planet’s Boston guidebook.
This area is home to the start of the Freedom Trail and the gold-domed Massachusetts State House. But the appeal of this neighborhood lies behind the landmarks, along the cobblestone streets lit by gas lanterns - a quintessentially Bostonian landscape.
- breathe in the sweet smell of flowering trees and blooming beds as you admire the seasonal display in the Public Garden
- explore the Massachusetts State House in search of the Sacred Cod and the Holy Mackerel
- pack a picnic for an evening of Shakespeare on the Common
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Neighborhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping and Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.
Nova Scotia, New Brunswick & Prince Edward Island - Understand Nova Scotia, New Brunswick & Prince Edward Island & Survival Guide (PDF Chapter)