Borneo - Kalimantan (PDF Chapter)
This is the Kalimantan chapter from Lonely Planet’s Borneo guidebook.
Kalimantan – the expansive Indonesian part of Borneo – is an adventure in every sense of the word. Remote jungle, snaking rivers and interior mountains serve up endless opportunities for epic rainforest exploration, while its cities are low-key and little visited by Indonesian stand-ards.
- complete the landmark cross-Borneo trek – if you can
- meet orangutans in Tanjung Puting National Park and sailing Sungai Sekonyer
- dive into Kalimantan’s best underwater and island life in Derawan Archipelago
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: West Kalimantan, Pontianak, Singkawang, Sintang, Putussibau, Sukadana, Gunung Palung National Park, Central Kalimantan, Tanjung Puting Na-tional Park, Pangkalan Bun, Kumai, Palangka Raya, Sebangau National Park, South Kaliman-tan, Banjarmasin, Kandangan, Loksado, East & North Kalimantan, Balikpapan, Samarinda, Sungai Mahakam, Muller Mountains, Kutai National Park, Berau, Merabu, Derawan Archipelago, North Kalimantan.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation