Borneo - Brunei Darussalam (PDF Chapter)
This is the Brunei Darussalam chapter from Lonely Planet’s Borneo guide-book.
Look beneath the surface of this tightly regulated sultanate and you’ll see the wisely con-served wildness of its natural environment. Thanks to its oil money, old-growth, primary rainforest abounds, especially in verdant Ulu Temburong National Park.
However, the introduction of a strict interpretation of sharia law in April 2019 has prompted global criticism and concern. Under the new legislation, adultery and homosexual acts are pun-ishable by death by stoning, and theft is punishable by the amputation of limbs. As the world struggles to come to terms with Brunei’s new direction, the future of tourism is uncertain.
- climbing high into the rainforest canopy and cool off in a jungle stream in Ulu Temburong National Park
- visit a mosque or museum and explore the restaurants and coffee shops of Bandar Seri Begawan
- take a water taxi to charming Kampong Ayer and learn about Brunei’s heritage.
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Bandar Seri Begawan, Tutong & Belait Districts, Tutong, Jalan Labi, Seria, Temburong District, Bangar, Batang Duri, Ulu Temburong Nation-al Park, Survival Guide.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation