Bolivia - Southern Altiplano (PDF Chapter)
This is the Southern Altiplano chapter from Lonely Planet’s Bolivia guide-book.
Stretching southwards from La Paz, this high-plains wilderness is framed by majestic volcanic peaks, endless kilometers of treeless stubble and the white emptiness of the salt deserts. At night the stargazing is spectacular, but it’s as cold as you could ever imagine.
- strap on some sunglasses and pose for photos with a plastic dinosaur on the salty expanse of Salar de Uyuni
- traverse Los Lípez’s Dalí-esque landscapes and gaze out at colorful lakes populated with flamingos in the country’s far southwest
- whistle the theme from your favorite Western as you guide your horse up the narrow gullies around Tupiza
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Oruro & the North, Oruro & Around, Curahuara de Carangas, Parque Nacional Sajama, Uyuni & the Southwest Circuit, Uyuni, Salar de Uyuni, Los Lípez, Tupiza & Around.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.