Bhutan - Western Bhutan (PDF Chapter)
This is the Western Bhutan chapter from Lonely Planet’s Bhutan guidebook.
Whether you arrive by air at the dramatic, mountain-bound Paro valley or by road at steamy Phuentsholing, it soon becomes clear that you have arrived at an otherworldly destination. Prayer flags flutter from nearly every rooftop and fortress-like monasteries command mountaintops.
- explore Bhutan’s most picturesque fortress, Punakha Dzong – the capital of Bhutan from the 17th to the 19th centuries
- hike to Bhutan’s most famous sight, Taktshang Goemba – the Tiger’s Nest Monastery – hanging miraculously from the cliff face
- visit the courtyards of hulking Paro Dzong, home to the valley’s main tsechu festival
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Paro Dzongkhag, Paro & Around, Upper Paro Valley, Bondey & Around, Haa Dzongkhag, Cheli La, Haa & Around, Chhuzom, Punakha Dzongkhag, Punakha & Around, Khuruthang, Upper Punakha Valley, Wangdue Phodrang Dzongkhag, Wangdue Phodrang & Around, Pele La, Phobjikha Valley, Chhukha Dzongkhag, Phuentsholing & Around.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.