Bhutan - Understand Bhutan and Survival Guide (PDF Chapter)
This chapter contains the Bhutan Today, History, The Bhutanese Way of Life, Buddhism in Bhutan, Traditional Arts, Architecture, Mountains & Valleys, Wildlife & Sanctuaries, Directory A–Z, Transport, Health and Language chapters from Lonely Planet’s Bhutan guidebook.
All the info you need on everything from history to flights, public transport, climate, money, the internet... you name it. Get tips for women travellers, gay and lesbian travellers, travellers with disabilities, and travellers with kids. And get the most out of your conversations with a handy language guide and glossary.
- a rundown on a past steeped in myth and mysticism that has helped Bhutan keep its identity and independence despite influences from Tibet
- info on the Bhutanese way of life including their unique dress, lifestyle and traditional world view
- full coverage of Buddhism in Bhutan; an understanding of Tibetan-style Buddhism is crucial to deciphering everything in Bhutan from murals to manners
- details on Bhutanese Architecture, from mighty fortress-like dzongs to local houses and wayside shrines
Coverage includes: Bhutan Today: Democracy & Parliament, Modernisation & Gross National Happiness and Challenged & Changes, History: Lost in the Mists of Time, Early History & the Arrival of Buddhism, Guru Rinpoche, Medieval Period, Hidden Treasures & Pema Lingpa, The Ris of the Zhabdrung, A Bhutanese Identity Emerges, Civil Wars, Involvement of the British, Exploration by Western Travellers, The Duar Wars & the Rise of Ugyen Wangchuck, The First Dragon King, The Second King, the Third King & the Modernisation of Bhutan, The Fourth King & the Introduction of Democracy, The Fifth King & the First Elected Parliament and A New Parliament & A New Prince, The Bhutanese Way of Life: Everyday Buddhism, Urban Bhutan, Rural Life, Learning, Health & The Wheel of Life, Women in Bhutan, Marriage, Personal Names, Titles & Forms of Address, Dress; Gho & Kira and Bhutanese at Play, Buddhism in Bhutan: The Buddah, Schools of Buddhism, Buddhist Concepts, Buddhism in Modern Bhutan and Important Figures of Buddhism in Bhutan, Traditional Arts: The Artistic Tradition in Bhutan, The Thirteen Arts, Painting, Textiles, Literature, Music and Theatre & Dance, Architecture: Dzongs, Goembas & Khakhangs, Houses and Chortens, Mountains & Valleys: The Lie of the Land, Bhutan’s Green Vault and Environmental Challenges, Wildlife & Sanctuaries: Mammals, Birds and National Parks & Protected Areas, Directory A–Z, Transport, Health and Language.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.
Israel & the Palestinian Territories - Understand Israel & the Palestinian Territories and Survival Guide (PDF Chapter)
Oman, UAE & Arabian Peninsula - Understand Oman, UAE & Arabian Peninsula and Survival Guide (PDF Chapter)