Bhutan - Thimphu (PDF Chapter)
This is the Thimphu chapter from Lonely Planet’s Bhutan guidebook.
Strung out along the Wang Chhu, Thimphu is Bhutan’s own mini-metropolis, an expanding bubble of shopping complexes, monasteries and chalet-like apartment buildings that reverts quickly to blue-pine forest at the city limits.
- marvel at the scale of the grand and serene fortress of Trashi Chho Dzong
- plunge into Thimphu’s pungent Weekend Market for incense, local foodstuffs and arte-facts
- join the morning pilgrims circumambulating around Changangkha Lhakhang, Thimphu’s liveliest temple
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Sights, Activities, Festivals & Events, Sleeping, Eat-ing, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Around Thimphu.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.