Berlin - Friedrichshain (PDF Chapter)
This is the Friedrichshain chapter from Lonely Planet’s Berlin guidebook.
The eastern district of Friedrichshain is famous for high-profile GDR-era relics such as the longest surviving stretch of the Berlin Wall (the East Side Gallery), the socialist boulevard Karl-Marx-Allee and the former Stasi headquarters. But it’s at night that Friedrichshain truly comes into its own.
- confront the ghosts of the Cold War at the East Side Gallery, showing the world’s longest outdoor artwork on a 1.3km-long vestige of the Berlin Wall
- party till sunrise and beyond in the rough-around-the-edges bars, clubs and concert ven-ues of RAW Gelände
- forage for treasure at the Sunday flea market on Boxhagener Platz, followed by brunch in a nearby cafe
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.