Berlin - City West & Charlottenburg (PDF Chapter)
This is the City West & Charlottenburg chapter from Lonely Planet’s Berlin guidebook.
The glittering heart of West Berlin during the Cold War, Charlottenburg is a big draw for shopaholics, royal groupies and art lovers. Its main sightseeing attraction is Schloss Charlotten-burg, with its park and adjacent art museums.
- marvel at the pomposity of the Prussian royal lifestyle at Schloss Charlottenburg, then re-laxing with a picnic by the carp pond in the palace park.
- finish an engaging survey of city history with a guided tour of a creepy Cold War–era atomic bunker at the Story of Berlin
- consider the horror of war at the majestically ruined 19th-century Kai-ser-Wilhelm-Gedächtniskirche
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout