Belize - Belize District (PDF Chapter)
This is the Belize District chapter from Lonely Planet’s Belize guidebook.
Belize City gets a bad rap for its impoverished areas, some of which are plagued by crime and violence. But the seaside city also embodies the country’s amazing cultural diversity, its neighbor-hoods packed with people, restaurants and shops that represent every ethnicity.
- get a first-hand introduction to the country’s native species at the beloved Belize Zoo
- relax in an authentic Belizean village and cruise the lagoon in search of the famous jabiru stork at Crooked Tree Wildlife Sanctuary
- explore Altun Ha, the Maya ruins that inspired Belikin beer labels and national banknotes
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Belize City, History, Sights, Activities, Tours, Festivals & Events, Sleeping, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, North of Belize City.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation