Beijing - Understand Beijing and Survival Guide (PDF Chapter)
All the info you need on everything from history to flights, public transport, climate, money, the internet... you name it. Get tips for women travellers, gay and lesbian travellers, travellers with disabilities, and travellers with kids. And get the most out of your conversations with a handy language guide and glossary.
- a rundown on getting around the city, from riding the bustling subway to exploring hútòng by bicycle
- info on the modern city and its architecture
- full coverage of centuries of colourful history to put the city sights in context
- details on Beijing’s hútòng, the distinctive alleyways that give an glimpse of the pre-skyscraper city
Coverage includes: Běijīng Today, History, Historic Hútòng, Arts, Architecture, Religion & Belief, Transport, Directory A–Z, and Language.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout