Bangkok - Siam Square, Pratunam, Phloen Chit & Ratchathewi (PDF Chapter)
This is the Siam Square, Pratunam, Phloen Chit & Ratchathewi chapter from Lonely Planet’s Bangkok guidebook.
Siam Sq, Pratunam and Phloen Chit combine to form the de facto geographical and commer-cial centre of modern Bangkok. Huge malls, towering hotels and open-air shopping centres dominate the area – if you’re serious about shopping, you’ve come to the right place.
- visit Jim Thompson House, the teak mansion that put Thai style on the map before its ex-spy owner disappeared off that map
- shop at Mbk Center and the other mega-malls, department stores and shops that practically engulf Siam Sq
- explore the pencil-thin lanes of the canal-side Muslim village of Baan Khrua, where Jim Thompson first encountered Thai silk
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.