Bangkok - Excursions from Bangkok (PDF Chapter)
This is the Excursions from Bangkok chapter from Lonely Planet’s Bangkok guidebook.
Want to escape the city? This chapter includes the very best excursions from Bangkok, each offering unique insights into Thailand. Must-sees include the sprawling temples of Ayuthaya and the powerful monuments of Kanchanaburi.
- Ayuthaya, Thailand’s heroic former capital, is a Unesco World Heritage site and a major pilgrimage site for anyone interested in ancient history.
- Ko Samet, only a few hours from Bangkok, has famously squeaky sand beaches and accommodation to fit any budget.
- Amphawa’s canal-side setting and ancient wooden houses look like they are straight out of a movie; its homestays provide an up-close experience of this unique community.
- Phetchaburi’s temples and peak-roofed wooden houses combine to form the epitome of central Thai life.
- Recent history is only a train ride away in Kanchanaburi, where vivid museums and touching monuments bring home the area’s history as a WWII labour camp.
- Khao Yai is home to one of Thailand’s biggest and best national parks, where mountainous monsoon forests boast hundreds of resident species.
Coverage includes: Ayuthaya Historical Park, Ko Samet, Amphawa, Phetchaburi (Phetburi), Kanchanaburi and Khao Yai.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.