Bali & Lombok - Gili Islands (PDF Chapter)
This is the Gili Islands chapter from Lonely Planet’s Bali & Lombok guide-book.
Picture three minuscule desert islands, fringed by white-sand beaches and coconut palms, sitting in a turquoise sea: the Gilis are a vision of paradise. These islets have exploded in popu-larity, and are booming like nowhere else in Indonesia.
When to Go
The wet season is approximately late October until late March. But even in the height of the rainy season, when it’s lashing it down on Lombok or Bali, the Gilis can be dry and sunny.
High season is between June and late August and again at Christmas, when rooms are very hard to find and prices surge (though great weather is almost guaranteed).
The perfect months to visit are May and September. It’s fairly dry, the crowds have abated and there’s no cyclone season to worry about. Still, with the Gilis’ popularity growing so quickly, it’s always a good idea to book a room in advance.
- celebrate at Gili T’s legendary raves and parties, which happen several nights a week at venues like Tir na Nog
- swim with all manner of fish at Trawangan Wall, a popular dive spot near Gili T
- circle Gili Air looking for your favourite beach
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Gili Trawangan, Gili Meno, Gili Air.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.