Austria - The Salzkammergut (PDF Chapter)
This is the Salzkammergut chapter from Lonely Planet’s Austria guidebook.
The Salzkammergut is a dramatic region of alpine and subalpine lakes, deeply carved valleys, rolling hills and rugged, steep mountain ranges. The popular Hallstätter See, flanked by soaring mountains that offer great hiking, is arguably the most spectacular of the lakes.
- reel from views high up in the Dachstein mountains at 5 Fingers Viewing Platform
- hike Hallstätter See’s edge from Obertraun to Hallstatt and cool off in the crystal waters between trails
- discover Wolfgangsee’s remarkable pilgrimage church, St Wolfgang, filled with priceless artworks
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Bad Ischl, Southern Salzkammergut, Hallstätter See, Bad Aussee, Northern Salzkammergut, Traunsee, Attersee, Wolfgangsee, Mondsee.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.