Australia - Darwin & The Northern Territory (PDF Chapter)
This is the Darwin & the Northern Territory chapter from Lonely Planet’s Australia guidebook.
The Top End is frontier country. It feels wild out here; time spent exploring the region’s outer reaches will feel like exploring the Australia of childhood imaginings. This is the nation’s most rewarding Indigenous homeland.
- watch the sunrise and sunset alter the earth’s colour palette on the strangely spiritual rock of Uluru
- experience wildlife, rock art and Aboriginal culture in Kakadu National Park, one of Australia’s premier parks
- hike through the hidden valleys and deep-red monoliths of Kata Tjuta (the Olgas)
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Darwin & around, Tiwi Islands, Arnhem Highway, Berry Springs, Batchelor, Litchfield National Park, Pine Creek, Kakadu National Park, Ubirr & around, Jabiru, Nourlangie, Cooinda & Yellow Water, Southwestern Kakadu, Arnhem Land, Gunbalanya (Oenpelli), Eastern Arnhem Land, Katherine, Around Katherine, Nitmiluk (Katherine Gorge) National Park, Katherine to Western Australia, Mataranka, Beswick (Wugularr), Barkly Tableland & Gulf Country, Roper Highway, Carpentaria & Tablelands Highways, Borroloola, Central Northern Territory, Tennant Creek, Devil’s Marbles & around, Tanami Road, Alice Springs, MacDonnell Ranges, East MacDonnell Ranges, West MacDonnell Ranges, Northern Territory’s Far South, Old South Road, Rainbow Valley Conservation Reserve, Lasseter Highway, Kings Canyon & Watarrka National Park, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Yulara, When to Go, Best Places to Stay.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation