Auckland & the Bay of Islands Road Trips - Northland & the Bay of Islands Trip (PDF Chapter)
This is the Northland & the Bay of Islands chapter from Lonely Planet’s Auckland & the Bay of Islands Road Trips guidebook.
Embark on this diverse northern adventure showcasing New Zealand’s Māori and colonial history amid a backdrop of sparkling beaches, soaring forests and hidden harbours.
- explore Cape Reinga, the leaving point for souls to the spiritual Māori homeland
- pick the right route with inspirational images and key trip highlights
- discover Waipoua State Forest and pay homage to giant centuries-old kauri trees
- get around easily with colour maps and route directions in easy stages
- experience Poor Knights marine reserve by diving, snorkelling, kayaking or paddle boarding
- discover even more with detours and ways to link your trips
Coverage includes: Auckland, Mangawhai Heads, Waipu, Whangarei, Tutukaka, Russell, Paihia, Kerikeri, Mangonui, Cape Reinga, Ahipara, Rawene, Opononi & Omapere, Waipoua Forest and Matakohe.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only. *Not available for newer titles
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.