Auckland & the Bay of Islands Road Trips - East & West Coast Explorer Trip (PDF Chapter)
This is the East & West Coast Explorer chapter from Lonely Planet’s Auckland & the Bay of Islands Road Trips guidebook.
From Auckland, embark on a circular route north of the city to uncover secluded and spectacular beaches, sophisticated vineyard restaurants and a menu of family-friendly activities.
- discover Goat Island, a marine reserve packed with underwater life
- pick the right route with inspirational images and key trip highlights
- visit Matakana and soak up the local arts scene, vineyards and farmers market
- get around easily with colour maps and route directions in easy stages
- marvel at the looming Lion Rock at Piha beach
- discover even more with detours and ways to link your trips
Coverage includes: Auckland, Pulhoi, Matakana, Goat Island, Helensville, Muriwai, Kumeu, Te Henga, Bethells Beach, Piha and Titirangi.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.