Antarctica - Southern Ocean (PDF Chapter)
The wild waters of the Southern Ocean surround Antarctica and isolate it geographically, bi-ologically and climatically from the rest of the world. Scattered around these waters are the is-lands that early explorers and sealers encountered before they found Terra Australis Incogni-ta.
- brave the surging swells to reach Deception Island’s giant chinstrap rookery
- view rare nesting albatross at Prion Island
- ring the bells at the evocative old Whalers’ Church of Grytviken
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Ushuaia, Cape Horn, Islas Diego Ramirez, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), Stanley, East Falkland, West Falkland, Antarctic Convergence, South Georgia, South Orkney Islands, Laurie Island, Signy Island, South Shetland Islands, Elephant Island, King George Island, Penguin Island, Nelson Island, Greenwich Island, Half Moon Island, Livingston Island, Deception Island, Other Peri-Antarctic Islands, Heard & McDonald Islands, Macquarie Island, New Zealand’s Sub-Antarctic Islands.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation