Amsterdam - Understand Amsterdam and Survival Guide (PDF Chapter)
This chapter contains the Amsterdam Today, History, Dutch Painting, Architecture in Amster-dam, Dutch Design, Directory A-Z, Transport, and Language chapters from Lonely Planet’s Amsterdam guidebook.
All the info you need on everything from history, architecture and Dutch painting to flights, public transport, climate, money, the internet... you name it. Get tips for women travellers, gay and lesbian travellers, travellers with disabilities, and travellers with kids. And get the most out of your conversations with a handy language guide and glossary.
- a rundown on 17th-century painters, including Rembrandt and Vermeer
- info on Amsterdam’s architecture, from contemporary to centuries-old cityscapes
- full coverage of witty, functional and unique Dutch design and fashion
- details on Amsterdam’s history, from the Romans to today
Coverage includes: Amsterdam Today, History, Dutch Painting, Archi-tecture in Amsterdam, Dutch Design, Directory A-Z, Transport, and Language.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout