Amsterdam - Nieuwmarkt, Plantage & the Eastern Islands (PDF Chapter)
This is the Nieuwmarkt, Plantage & the Eastern Islands chapter from Lonely Planet’s Amsterdam guidebook.
Busy Nieuwmarkt (New Market) bursts with historic reminders of its glorious past, even if it’s more about nightlife and shopping these days. East of Nieuwmarkt is the city’s leafiest neigh-bourhood, Plantage – a lovely place to stroll and laze.
- view Rembrandt’s studio at the Museum het Rembrandthuis, where you can see his brushes, sketches and cabinet stuffed with seashells and Roman busts
- fathom the history of Dutch seafaring through the extensive maritime collection of the het Scheepvaartmuseum
- catch live classical music or jazz at the acoustically and visually stunning Muziekgebouw aan ’t IJ
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.