Amsterdam - Jordaan & the West (PDF Chapter)
This is the Jordaan & the West chapter from Lonely Planet’s Amsterdam guide-book.
The Jordaan was once a rough, densely populated volksbuurt (district for the common peo-ple) until the mid-20th century. Today, this neighbourhood is a curiously enchanting mix of a gritty, hard-drinking, leftist character and a revitalised, trend-conscious sheen.
- lose yourself in the labyrinth of narrow streets and charming canals before spending the evening in the neighbourhood’s bruin cafés such as De Twee Zwaantjes – nothing is more quintessentially Amsterdam
- learn about the fascinating history and production of the country’s favourite bloom at the Amsterdam Tulip Museum
- listen to rare jazz and classical tunes play on vintage pianolas at the Pianola Museum
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.