Amsterdam - Day trips from Amsterdam (PDF Chapter)
This is the Day Trips from Amsterdam chapter from Lonely Planet’s Amsterdam guidebook.
Want to escape the city? This chapter includes the very best excursions from Amsterdam and they can each be completed in a day. Must-sees include Haarlem and Leiden.
- alleys wind among grand 17th-century buildings in lively Haarlem, just a 15-minute hop from Amsterdam
- Leiden, Rembrandt’s picturesque, canal-woven birthplace is home to the country’s oldest and most prestigious university
- see the world’s largest, loveliest flower gardens in bloom during spring at Keukenhof Gar-dens
- Delft’s Gothic and Renaissance architecture rivals its beautiful Delftware pottery
- watch windmills twirl and meet the millers at delightful Zaanse Schans
Coverage includes: Haarlem, Leiden, Keukenhof Gardens, Delft, Zaanse Schans.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout