Amalfi Coast Road Trips - Shadow of Vesuvius Trip (PDF Chapter)
This is the Shadow of Vesuvius chapter from Lonely Planet’s Amalfi Coast Road Trips guidebook.
Beginning in the tumult that is Naples, this trip winds around the Bay of Naples to the ruins of Pompeii and Herculaneum to seaside Sorrento – even daring the slopes of Vesuvius itself.
- climb to the summit of Mt Vesuvius for spectacular views
- pick the right route with inspirational images and key trip highlights
- glimpse 2000 years of history with a walk through Naples’ centro historico
- get around easily with colour maps and route directions in easy stages
- explore the fascinating and sobering ruins of Pompeii
- discover even more with detours and ways to link your trips
Coverage includes: Naples and around, Portici, Herculaneum, Museo dell’Osservatorio Vesuviano, Mt Vesuvius, Oplontis, Boscoreale, Pompeii, Castellammare di Stabia, Sorrento, Ercolano, The Amalfi Coast, Positano, Praiano, Furore, Amalfi, Ravello, Minori, Cetara, Vietri sul Mare and Italy Travel Guide.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.