Amalfi Coast Road Trips - Naples & Pompeii (PDF Chapter)
This is the Naples & Pompeii chapter from Lonely Planet’s Amalfi Coast Road Trips guidebook.
Blessed with rich volcanic soils, a bountiful sea and centuries of culinary know-how, the Naples region is one of Italy’s epicurean heavyweights. Nearby you’ll also find Europe’s most compelling archaeological site: the ruins of Pompeii.
- climb to the summit of Mt Vesuvius for views worthy of fire god Vulcan
- find magnificent art, architecture and street life in incomparable Naples
- explore the extraordinary portal to the 1st century AD in Pompeii
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Naples, Herculaneum, Mt Vesuvius, Pompeii.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation