Alaska - The Bush (PDF Chapter)
This is the Bush chapter from Lonely Planet’s Alaska guidebook.
Even the frontier has a frontier, and for Alaskans, that’s the Bush. Come here to embrace deep isolation, never-ending nights, endless days and true wilderness: utterly untamed land-scapes that remind us humans how small we really are.
- drive from Interior Alaska to the shores of the Arctic Ocean along Dalton Highway on one of North America’s great – and northernmost – road trips
- explore the roads that spread out from Nome across miles of stunning Arctic scenery
- follow caribou herds on a backcountry excursion into remote Arctic National Wildlife Ref-uge
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Western Alaska, Nome, Nome–Council Road, Kou-garok Road, Nome–Teller Road, Arctic Alaska, Dalton Highway, Gates of the Arctic National Park & Preserve, Utqia?vik (Barrow).
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.