Alaska - Prince William Sound (PDF Chapter)
This is the Prince William Sound chapter from Lonely Planet’s Alaska guide-book.
This island-speckled sound named for an 18th-century British prince is home to precipitous fjords, sheer-sided coastal mountains, numerous boom-crashing tidal glaciers, remarkable bird and animal life, and three very unique ‘villages’ that guard the gates to endless adventure possi-bilities.
- listen to the snap-crackle-and-pop of icebergs as you blue-water paddle around one of Alaska’s largest tidal glaciers, Columbia Glacier
- heading out from Whittier to kayak or sightsee amid wildlife, waterfalls, icebergs and the fantastical forces of nature in Blackstone Bay
- take a cheap ‘cruise’ on Alaska Marine Highway Ferry in an area where few cruise ships venture
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Valdez, Cordova, Whittier.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.