Alaska - Juneau & the Southeast (PDF Chapter)
This is the Juneau & the Southeast chapter from Lonely Planet’s Alaska guide-book.
While much of the state is a treeless expanse of land with a layer of permafrost, the Panhan-dle is a slender, long rainforest that stretches 540 miles from Icy Bay, near Yakutat, south to Port-land Canal.
- glide quietly in a kayak through the steep-sided fjords of majestic Misty Fiords National Monument
- follow the historic Chilkoot Trail across two countries, spectacular landscapes and scat-tered remnants of the Klondike gold rush
- watch out for whales, bears and floating icebergs the size of houses in Glacier Bay Nation-al Park
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Southern Panhandle, Ketchikan, Misty Fiords Nation-al Monument, Prince of Wales Island, Wrangell, Petersburg, Hyder, Northern Panhandle, Sitka, Juneau, Admiralty Island & Pack Creek, Glacier Bay National Park & Preserve, Haines, Skagway, Yakutat.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.