Africa - Sierra Leone (PDF Chapter)
This is the Sierra Leone chapter from Lonely Planet’s Africa guidebook.
For the traveller, Sierra Leone is still West Africa’s secret beach destination. Sweet sands rise from the soft waters of the Atlantic, with the backdrop dressed in sun-stained hues, rainforest green and the red, red roads of the north.
- join a nighttime hike through Tiwai Island’s forest in search of the elusive pygmy hippo
- eat barbecued lobster pulled fresh from the sea at one of the Freetown Peninsula’s stunning beaches
- glide down the river by dugout canoe in Outamba-Kilimi National Park while monkeys and birds chatter in the surrounding forest
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Freetown, Freetown Peninsula, Banana Islands, River No 2, Tokeh Beach, Bunce IslandMakeni, Mt Bintumani, Outamba-Kilimi National Park, Bo, Turtle Islands, Tiwai Island, Gola Rainforest National Park, Understand Sierra Leone and Survival Guide.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience