Africa - Mauritania (PDF Chapter)
This is the Mauritania chapter from Lonely Planet’s Africa guidebook.
Mauritania has some of the continent’s grandest scenery. The Saharan Adrar region, with its caravan towns, is currently off-limits for security reasons, but the desert is a constant presence elsewhere, pushing hard up against the Atlantic Coast.
- track down a rare colony of charismatic Mediterranean monk seals in Réserve Satellite du Cap Blanc in the country’s remote north
- taste Mauritanian cooking in Nouakchott’s best and most atmospheric restaurant, La Tissayade
- observe vast flocks of birds from a traditional pirogue in Parc National du Banc d’Arguin
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Nouakchott, Atlantic Coast, Nouâdhibou, Parc National du Banc d’Arguin, The Adrar, Understand Mauritania and Survival Guide.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience