Africa - Eritrea (PDF Chapter)
This is the Eritrea chapter from Lonely Planet’s Africa guidebook.
Historically intriguing, culturally compelling and scenically inspiring, Eritrea is one of the most secretive countries in Africa. For those with a hankering for off-the-beaten-track places, it offers a unique blend of natural and cultural highlights.
- discover Asmara’s dazzling collection of colonial-era architectural wonders
- explore the ruined alleyways and faded-glory buildings of historic coastal Massawa, which suffered heavy bombing at the tail end of the War for Independence
- soak up the languid atmosphere of Keren, Eritrea’s beguiling and multicultural second city, and join the weekly walk out to haggle for camels and other livestock on the edge of town
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Asmara, Keren, Massawa, Understand Eritrea and Survival Guide.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience