Yellowstone & Grand Teton NP - Around Yellowstone (Chapter)
This is the Around Yellowstone chapter from Lonely Planet’s Yellowstone guidebook.
The 43,750-sq-m Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem doesn’t suddenly end at the park fence. Enveloping the park kernel is a protective cushion of national forests and wilderness areas that offer almost as much scenic splendor as the parks themselves, but without the crowds and the pesky permits. Plan your itinerary to combine the stunning Beartooth and Gallatin routes, or the Beartooth, Wapiti and Chief Joseph Scenic Hwy via the Wild West town of Cody, and you have the ultimate add-on to a classic Yellowstone trip.
- Hit the slopes at stylish Big Sky, site of the region’s biggest downhill runs
- Blow off some steam at the night rodeo after exploring the Wild West at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody
- restaurants & accommodation
- Grip the steering wheel extra tight as you climb the spaghetti loops of the Beartooth Highway, America’s most scenic road
- Suck down an extra-large chocolate malt at the Red Box Car after a hike in the mountains around Red Lodge
Coverage includes: Beartooth Route, Billings, Red Lodge, Beartooth Highway, Chief Joseph Scenic Highway, Cooke City, Wapiti Route, Cody, Wapiti Valley, Paradise Valley Route, Livingston, Paradise Valley, Gardiner, Gallatin Route, Bozeman, Gallatin Valley, Hebgen & Quake Lakes and West Yellowstone.
Formats: EPUB, MOBI, PDF