New Orleans - Day Trips from New Orleans (Chapter)
This is the Day Trips chapter from Lonely Planet’s New Orleans guidebook.
Want to escape the city? This chapter includes the very best excursions from New Orleans and they can all be completed in a day. Must-sees include River Road Plantations and St Francisville.
- graceful antebellum mansions with elaborate gardens dot River Road, with majestic live oaks and clustered slave shanties offering a glimpse into a foreign but not-too-distant past
- in St Francisville antiques, birds and ghost stories, plus a few plantations, make a fine trip. And that’s without mentioning the museum at the 18,000-acre penitentiary in Angola
- join the party - or the fais-do-do (Cajun dance) - in Lafayette and Breaux Bridge, where Ca-jun dance halls and crawfish boils keep things lively. And the food? It’s serious business around here
- suit up for dancing and a lot of great music in the prairielands, where a young wave of fid-dlers and accordion players keep Cajun and zydeco music relevant - and fun
- swamps, alligators, oil and a whole lot of Cajun culture can be found ‘down the bayou’. Soak it all in - and enjoy fresh seafood - on a road trip that’s best done slow
Coverage includes: River Road Plantations, St Francisville, Lafeyette, Breaux Bridge, Cajun Prairie, Down the Bayou.
Formats: EPUB, MOBI, PDF
was USD $4.95