Amsterdam - Plantage, Eastern Islands, Eastern Docklands & Oosterpark (Chapter)
This is the Plantage, Eastern Islands, Eastern Docklands, Oosterpark & South Amsterdam chapters from Lonely Planet’s Amsterdam guidebook.
Once a district of parks and gardens, the Plantage now hosts the city’s sprawling zoo, as well as a beery windmill. It segues into the Eastern Islands and Eastern Docklands, old warehouse hubs that have morphed into the cutting edge of Dutch - and indeed European - architecture.
The Oost is another culturally diverse ’hood, with Moroccan and Turkish enclaves. South Amsterdam extends well beyond, offering wild art, lush greenery and goats in the forest.
- experience live classical music or jazz at the acoustically - and visually - stunning Muziekgebouw Aan ‘t Ij
- put yourself in the shoes of courageous WWII Dutch Resistance fighters at the sobering yet inspiring Verzetsmuseum
- imagine a time when the Dutch East India Trading company ruled the seas at the atmospheric Entrepotdok
- spend the afternoon yodelling, sitting in a yurt and checking out Dutch colonial booty at the Tropenmuseum
- take a trip through the big, bold, avant-garde paintings of Karel Appel and friends at the Cobra Museum
- restaurants & bars
- sniff out the Turkish pide stall amid multipack sock vendors at the lively Dappermarkt
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment and Sleeping.
Lonely Planet PDF eBooks are PDF versions of our guides. They are available from the Lonely Planet Shop as either individual chapters or complete guides. PDF files can be printed and are viewable on eReaders, tablets, smart-phones and PCs. Learn more about Lonely Planet PDF eBooks.