Bangkok - Excursions from Bangkok (Chapter)
This is the Excursions from Bangkok chapter from Lonely Planet’s Bangkok guidebook.
Want to escape the city? This chapter includes the very best excursions from Bangkok, each offering unique insights into Thailand. Must-sees include the sprawling temples of Ayuthaya and the powerful monuments of Kanchanaburi.
- Ayuthaya, Thailand’s heroic former capital, is a Unesco World Heritage site and a major pilgrimage site for anyone interested in ancient history.
- Ko Samet, only a few hours from Bangkok, has famously squeaky sand beaches and accommodation to fit any budget.
- Amphawa’s canal-side setting and ancient wooden houses look like they are straight out of a movie; its homestays provide an up-close experience of this unique community.
- Phetchaburi’s temples and peak-roofed wooden houses combine to form the epitome of central Thai life.
- Recent history is only a train ride away in Kanchanaburi, where vivid museums and touching monuments bring home the area’s history as a WWII labour camp.
- Khao Yai is home to one of Thailand’s biggest and best national parks, where mountainous monsoon forests boast hundreds of resident species.
Coverage includes: Ayuthaya Historical Park, Ko Samet, Amphawa, Phetchaburi (Phetburi), Kanchanaburi and Khao Yai.
Formats: EPUB, MOBI, PDF
was USD $4.95