Madrid - Day trips from Madrid (Chapter)
Want to escape the city? This chapter includes the very best excursions from Madrid and they can each be completed in a day. Must-sees include San Lorenzo de El Escorial and Toledo.
- San Lorenzo de El Escorial, one of Spain’s grandest monuments, this Unesco World Heritage-listed palace-monastery complex combines a cool mountain setting with the imposing grandeur of imperial Spain.
- Toledo is a beautifully sited, architecturally distinguished city with signposts to its glory days as a crossroads of civilisation
- a Roman aqueduct, a castle that inspired Disney and a colour scheme of sandstone and warm terracotta make Segovia one of the most agreeable towns close to Madrid
- surrounded by the finest medieval walls in Spain, Ávila is an evocative Castilian city that’s the spiritual home to the cult of Santa Teresa
- a royal getaway down through the centuries, Aranjuez has an extraordinary palace and expansive gardens grafted onto a delightfully small-town canvas
- home to one of the prettiest town squares in Spain, Chinchón is a world away from downtown Madrid, with fabulous food thrown in
Coverage includes: San Lorenzo de El Escorial, Toledo, Segovia, Ávila, Aranjuez and Chinchón.
Formats: EPUB, MOBI, PDF