Trans-Siberian Railway - St Petersburg (Chapter)
This is the St Petersburg chapter from Lonely Planet’s Trans Siberian Railway guidebook.
Beautiful, complex and imperious, with a hedonistic, creative temperament, St Petersburg is the ultimate Russian diva. From its early days as an uninhabited swamp, the 300-year-old city has been nurtured by a succession of rulers, enduring practically everything that history and nature’s harsh elements could throw at her.
- Climbing the enormous dome of St Isaac’s Cathedral for a bird’s-eye view of the imperial city
- Having the ultimate Russian experience by taking in a ballet at the Mariinsky Theatre
- Spending a day (or more!) in the Hermitage, one of the world’s unrivalled art collections
- Witnessing the amazing kaleidoscope of colours that is the Church on Spilled Blood
- Revelling with locals during the ethereal endless daylight of the White Nights
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Historic Heart, Vasilyevsky Island, Petrograd Side.
Lonely Planet PDF eBooks are PDF versions of our guides. They are available from the Lonely Planet Shop as either individual chapters or complete guides. PDF files can be printed and are viewable on eReaders, tablets, smart-phones and PCs. Learn more about Lonely Planet PDF eBooks.