Moscow - Day Trips from Moscow (Chapter)
This is the Day Trips from Moscow chapter from Lonely Planet's Moscow guidebook.
Want to escape the city? This chapter includes the very best excursions from Moscow - and they can all be completed in a day. Must-sees include medieval Suzdal and the Trinity Monastery of St Sergius at Sergiev Posad.
- home to the Trinity Monastery of St Sergius, Sergiev Posad’s easy distance from Moscow and historic atmosphere ensure it’s the most visited destination in the Golden Ring.
- an artists colony and country estate, Abramtsevo was a font of artistic inspiration during the 19th-century renaissance of traditional Russian painting, sculpture, architecture and arts.
- the 12th-century capital of medieval Rus was formative in establishing a distinctively Russian architectural style. Ancient Vladimir still shows off several remarkable structures that date back to its heyday.
- dating to the 11th century, Suzdal was a medieval capital and a spiritual centre. The village is still ringed with monasteries and peppered with merchant churches, making for an idyllic fairy-tale setting.
- the site of turning-point battles in the Napoleonic War of 1812 as well as the Great Patriotic War (WWII), Borodino Battlefield is also an idyllic destination far from the crowds, traffic and smog.
Coverage includes: Sergiev Posad, Abramtsevo, Vladimir, Suzdal and Borodino.
Formats: EPUB, MOBI, PDF