Western Europe - Liechtenstein & Luxembourg (Chapter)
This is the Liechtenstein & Luxembourg chapter from Lonely Planet's Western Europe guidebook.
It's worth visiting Liechtenstein solely for the cocktail-party bragging rights, but keep the operation covert. This pocket-sized principality takes its independence seriously and would shudder at the thought of being visited for novelty value alone.
Which European nation, just 84km long, consistently rates among the world's three richest countries? Remarkably, the answer is Luxembourg (Luxemburg, Lëtzebuerg). That's quite an achievement for this mostly rural grand duchy that suffered wholesale destruction during WWII.
- test yourself with extreme hiking along the legendary Fürstensteig trail
- hit the slopes at Malbun, so you can say you've skied the Liechtenstein Alps
- taste royal wine at the Hofkellerei des Fürstens, the prince's own winery
- restaurants & accommodation
- wander the capital's famous Chemin de la Corniche
- hike into the Tolkeinesque woodlands of Müllerthal
- let your imagination reign from the towers of quintessential fortress Château de Bourscheid
Coverage includes: Vaduz & around, Malbun, Understand Liechtenstein, History, Food & Drink, Survival Guide, Directory, Getting There & Away, and Getting Around, Luxembourg City & around, Vianden, Echternach, Diekirch & Ettelbrück, Moselle Valley, Understand Luxembourg, History, People, Arts, Food & Drink, Environment, Survival Guide, Directory, Getting There & Away, and Getting Around.
Lonely Planet PDF eBooks are PDF versions of our guides. They are available from the Lonely Planet Shop as either individual chapters or complete guides. PDF files can be printed and are viewable on eReaders, tablets, smart-phones and PCs. Learn more about Lonely Planet PDF eBooks.