Central Europe - Hungary & Liechtenstein (Chapter)
This is the Hungary & Liechtenstein chapter from Lonely Planet's Central Europe guidebook.
Where else but Hungary can you laze about in an open-air thermal spa while snow patches glisten around you, then head to a local bar where a Romani band yelps while a crazed crowd whacks its boot heels? And Liechtenstein? It's worth visiting solely for the cocktail-party bragging rights!
- test yourself with extreme hiking along the legendary Fürstensteig trail
- absorb the Mediterranean climate and historic architecture of the southern city of Pécs, including its intriguing Mosque Church
- learn about the defiance showed by Eger to Turkish invaders, and how the city's Bull's Blood wine got its name
- taste royal wine at the Hofkellerei des Fürstens, the prince's own winery
- take a pleasure cruise across (or a dip in) Central Europe's largest body of fresh water, Lake Balaton
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Budapest, the Danube Bend, Szentendre, Vác, Visegrád, Esztergom, Northwestern Hungary, Győr, Sopron, Lake Balaton, Siófok, Balatonfüred, Tihany, Keszthely, South Central Hungary, Pécs, Southeastern Hungary, Kecskemét, Kiskunsági Nemzeti Park, Szeged, Northeastern Hungary, Eger, Tokaj, Debrecen, Vaduz & around, Malbun, Understand Liechtenstein, Understand Hungary, History, People, Literature & the Arts, Environment, Food & Drink, Survival Guide, Directory, Getting There & Away, and Getting Around.
Lonely Planet PDF eBooks are PDF versions of our guides. They are available from the Lonely Planet Shop as either individual chapters or complete guides. PDF files can be printed and are viewable on eReaders, tablets, smart-phones and PCs. Learn more about Lonely Planet PDF eBooks.