Alaska - Anchorage & Around (Chapter)
This is the Anchorage & Around chapter from Lonely Planet’s Alaska guidebook.
A big city in the wilderness, Anchorage mixes hiking trails and traffic jams, small art galleries and Big Oil. Over 100 miles of city trails meander through hidden greenbelts and a creek splits downtown where anglers line up to catch trophy salmon. The wilderness is never far (behind the municipality is Chugach, the nation’s third-largest state park), which is why Anchorage’s young population (the average age is 32) is an active one.
- Spending an afternoon at the new Anchorage Museum, soaking up Alaskan culture and art
- Pedal the scenic Tony Knowles Coastal Trail with views of the Alaska Range on the way to Kincaid Park
- Watch the amazing bore tide fill Turnagain Arm in one swoop near Beluga Point
- restaurants & accommodation
- Check out the artistic salmon spawning in Anchorage during Wild Salmon on Parade
Coverage includes: Anchorage and around, Seward Highway, Girdwood, and around, Portage Glacier, Glenn Highway and Palmer.
Lonely Planet PDF eBooks are PDF versions of our guides. They are available from the Lonely Planet Shop as either individual chapters or complete guides. PDF files can be printed and are viewable on eReaders, tablets, smart-phones and PCs. Learn more about Lonely Planet PDF eBooks.
Formats: EPUB, MOBI, PDF