Alaska - Anchorage & Around (Chapter)
This is the Anchorage & Around chapter from Lonely Planet’s Alaska guidebook.
A big city in the wilderness, Anchorage mixes hiking trails and traffic jams, small art galleries and Big Oil. Over 100 miles of city trails meander through hidden greenbelts and a creek splits downtown where anglers line up to catch trophy salmon. The wilderness is never far (behind the municipality is Chugach, the nation’s third-largest state park), which is why Anchorage’s young population (the average age is 32) is an active one.
- Spending an afternoon at the new Anchorage Museum, soaking up Alaskan culture and art
- Pedal the scenic Tony Knowles Coastal Trail with views of the Alaska Range on the way to Kincaid Park
- Watch the amazing bore tide fill Turnagain Arm in one swoop near Beluga Point
- restaurants & accommodation
- Check out the artistic salmon spawning in Anchorage during Wild Salmon on Parade
Coverage includes: Anchorage and around, Seward Highway, Girdwood, and around, Portage Glacier, Glenn Highway and Palmer.
Formats: EPUB, MOBI, PDF
was USD $4.95