Amsterdam - Western Canal & Southern Canal Rings (Chapter)
This is the Western Canal & Southern Canal Rings chapter from Lonely Planet’s Amsterdam guidebook.
This is one of Amsterdam’s most gorgeous areas, filled with grand old mansions and quirky little specialty shops, and wandering around the glinting waterways can cause days to vanish quicker than Amsterdam’s more lurid pursuits. It's southern counterpart is more diverse and populist. Two key nightlife districts anchor the scene; in between are the art and antique shops of the Spiegel quarter and the eat street of Utrechtsestraat.
- shop along the compact, captivating Negen Straatjes (Nine Streets)
- enjoy an awe-inspiring, ahh-inducing starry night or sunset on the Seven Bridges, which never fails to wow with its canals-in-every-direction view
- contemplate the amazing life and tragic death of the most famous Dutch girl in history at Anne Frank Huis
- shop, eat and drink your way down Utrechtsestraat
- restaurants & bars
- people-watch on Rembrandtplein at night
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Walking Tour, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping and Sleeping.
Lonely Planet PDF eBooks are PDF versions of our guides. They are available from the Lonely Planet Shop as either individual chapters or complete guides. PDF files can be printed and are viewable on eReaders, tablets, smart-phones and PCs. Learn more about Lonely Planet PDF eBooks.